“It’s like America has stage four cancer and still wants to wake up every morning and eat sugar cereal while smoking cigarettes in between gasps on the oxygen tank, pissed that it’s not getting a clean bill of health. White supremacy is a deadly virus we infected the world with five hundred years ago and this is what it looks like before it kills us all. Ways you know you’ve got it bad:
1. You’re defending authority instead of advocating for people who are suffering.
2. You think gun violence is random and an anomaly instead of a by product of our culture.
3. You see brown people as terrorists and white people as troubled when it comes to gun violence.
4. You think prayer is a good alternative to instituting real world boundaries that protect people’s lives.
5. You see your family outside the context of history or societal forces and believe everyone should just put the past aside and get to work.
6. You see your success or safety as directly connected to your personal sense of moral courage vs a result of a complex set of factors that position some over others.
7. You see no way out of our current situation and believe we do best to work with how it is.
We can end white supremacy, but we will have to address the ways we play host to this thing alive in us that gives it room to flourish and grow.”